Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Weekend in Peoria

As I mentioned in my Saturday post, I spent Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon in Peoria watching the Chiefs play.  It rained almost the entire 3 hour drive on Saturday, but things cleared off by the time gates opened at 5:30.  It was Star Wars night on the concourse as there were numerous characters you could have your picture taken with.  My daughter is a big fan so that made her night.  There was also a T-shirt give away to fans 13 and older that featured 3 players from last years team.  They are nice shirts, but everyone is an adult XL.  My son was the only one out of the family who did not get a shirt, so I let him spin the $1 prize wheel twice.  He did pretty well.


Anytime you can get a stadium giveaway bobblehead for a $1, it is a good deal.  This Carson Kelly was given out last year.  We already have one, but should be able to trade it for one that we need.  The tumbler is not too bad either for a $1.  That was the highlight of the evening.  The Chiefs lost 7 to 1 and did not get a hit until 2 outs in the 9th inning.  I admit I was hoping to see a no hitter even if it was against the team I was rooting for.  At least the fireworks show after the game was pretty good.  We did not try to get any autographs that night because Sunday's game featured a team autograph session after the game.

Sunday was a much better day.  My son and I played catch on the field for about 15 minutes prior to the start of the game.  He was the only one of us that received a stadium give way that day.  Kids 12 and under received a Chiefs mini bat.  He collects mini bats from the different stadiums we visit, so this was a nice freebie.  The Chiefs came out swinging and won the game 7-2.  It was a quick game that last about 2 hours and 30 minutes.  After the game, the players were spread out on the concourse for about 20 minutes to sign autographs.  In between the 4 of us, we got 38 autographs.

The first 1000 people received a poster of the 2019 Chiefs All Stars.  We were able to get 2 of these signed.  I thought that was good considering Nolan Gorman the longest line.  He is the Cardinals #1 prospect and may not be in Peoria much longer.

Each one of us made it through his line once.  The Chiefs team set just came out last week, so it was nice to get him on that card.  I had 2 other cards of his, but did not want to stand in line and miss some other guys.  You could tell he was not thrilled to be there.  Gorman did not get a hit in either game we went to and has struck out a ton in the last few weeks.

I had a Seijas program from the first game of the season.  The Chiefs put out a different program each month.  Herrera got the lone hit for the Chiefs in Saturday's game.

Position players from the team set.


Starters from the team set.

We were able to get 18 of the 30 cards from the set signed.  A few of the guys have been promoted or sent down, so the set may not get complete but it will be fun to try.


I had heard that Delvin Perez would sign anything you put in front of him.  Being a former #1 draft pick I had a ton of his cards.  True to form he was happy to sign them all.  Not much of a signature though.
 
I was able to get 2 cards from the 2018 team set done.  Both of these guys started the season in high A Palm Beach, but have since been sent down.  Both are really nice guys, so I will continue to pull for them.

         

No comments:

Post a Comment