Monday, March 2, 2020

Leap Year Card Show

I was able to attend my first card show of 2020 on Saturday.  My wife wanted to go shopping in Evansville, IN for some clothes for an upcoming trip.  I found a card show in Newburgh that was about a 15 minute drive from the mall.  My son and I hit it up while the women shopped.  Fair trade off that made everyone happy.

 
This was the first show held at the American Legion.  The promoter said he hoped it would become a regular show.  Maybe not every month, but at least every quarter.  It was advertised as 50 tables, but a handful of them were coins.  The admission was free, and free donuts were provided.  Can't beat that.  On to the cards.


We were in heaven as soon as we walked in the door.  The second dealer table had a 3200 count dime box of nothing but baseball.  Lots of newer products including some 2020 Topps base and insert cards.  The Helsely Camo and Heritage SP were 2 of my favorite finds.


Two rows of the box contained 2019 cards like this Fire Gold Minted and Topps Significant Stats.


There was a handful of 2018 cards also.  Although these are not numbered, I love the Opening Day blue foil cards.


These are my first 2016 All Star Game cards.  I was surprised there were not more of these. 


There were also quite a few random Cardinals from the 1990s.  This 1996 Gallery card completed my team set. 


The table was ran by 2 of the most friendly dealers I have ever came across.  Not only did they talk to me about cards and sports, but they made sure to include my 11 year old son in the conversation.  The 2020 Turkey Red and 2019 Franchise Feats were in the dime box.  The 2019 Topps Utz was in a $3 pile, but one of the dealers gave it to my son for free. 


I found quite a few random inserts throughout the box.  There were a ton of 2018 Bowman Platinum base cards that I did not need, but it is hard to base up numbered cards for a dime.  There will be trade bait along with the rest of the dime box purchases.

  Refractors and Topps Gold

More refractors, but with some pink added.


Purple parallels are not that common.  It should be easy to trade these with other team collectors.

 
Yankees are never hard to trade.  The top 2 are already spoken for.


Mets are also easy to move.  Not sure why since they have not been that good of late, but they have a ton of team collectors.

I will even pick up Cub cards for a dime.  Th Almora is a rainbow foil.  I pulled 40 cards in all.  I did not show some of the Cardinals I pulled because I already had them.  Wanting to make it an even $5, I picked up this Topps Black numbered to 67 for a $1.


I have a couple of Blue Jays collectors on TCDB that should need this.  Before leaving the table, I made sure to get the dealers contact info.  They hope to set up at a few more shows in the area.  I told them to keep the dime boxes stocked.

We walked the rest of the show floor, but nothing much stood out.  No more dime boxes to be found.  There were quite a few dollar boxes, but they were stocked with cards that I found in the first dime box.  Hard pass for me.  We did stop at 1 other dealer who had stacks of current players laid out.  My son flipped through the Altuve stack looking for a hidden gem.


The Player's Weekend patch was marked at $5, the Leather & Lumber $3, and the Musial was from the $1 box.  We settled on $5 for the 3 of them.  The Musial is an sp and the last 2019 Gallery card I needed for my team set.  The Altuves were priced a little high, but once again this dealer was very nice so I felt obligated to buy something.  I wish he had his $1 box sorted.  It was a 5000 count box that was mixed with all 3 major sports.  I was lucky to find the Musial in the first row.

We spent about an hour at the show.  If the dime box dealer was not there, it would have been a lot less.  If they set up again, I will try to hit up the show. 

No comments:

Post a Comment