Thursday, October 27, 2022

Unexpected Birthday Present

Today is my birthday.  I am north of 45 but still south of 50.  After I turned 40, they all seem the same.  Less hair on my head each year, with what is left turning grayer.  At least my waistline has not suffered a midlife crisis.  Thanks to trying to keep up with my son, I am still close to the weight I was when I graduated high school.  

Even at this age, I still get a few presents.  Some I know about, and others are unexpected.  One such surprise arrived on Monday from TCDB member OPADK Hokie.  He is a fellow Cardinals fan that I have traded with a couple times.  He took the time to look at my wantlists and sent 3 nice vintage cards.


First up is a 1960 Topps rookie of Cardinals great Duke Carmel.  He only played parts of 3 seasons in St. Louis with 70 total at bats.  This is my first card of his.  It has a small crease close to his cap, but otherwise is in good condition.  I am not picky about condition anyway, so this fits great into my collection.  


This 1965 Topps Buchek is my second card of his.  This one has a couple of soft corners and a tiny crease, but once again in overall good shape.  Bucheck played 7 years for the Cardinals and was a member of the 1964 and 1967 World Series teams.  


You should recognize the Cardinal on this 1969 Topps card.  I cannot say I have heard of the other 2 guys.  Gibson led the league in ERA during 1968 with a 1.12.  MLB lowered the pitching mound before the 1969 season to improve scoring.  This card is in great condition.  No creases and only 1 corner that is a little soft.  Overall a great package from a very generous trader.
  



  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment