Thursday, March 16, 2023

St. Louis Card Show Recap: Bargain Boxes

The second part of my card show recap from Saturday is my bargain box buys.  I always take a quick lap around the show floor before buying anything.  I like to have an idea of how many bargain boxes are worth my time to go through.  Then I know how much time I can spend looking at showcases.  Even though my son is 14 and enjoys going through boxes, 2-3 hours is his limit at a show.  We did not find any dime boxes, but there were plenty of quarter boxes.  We ended up buying from 3 different dealers.

We discovered the first dealer at the very end of our walk-through.  It was an older gentleman and his 2 daughters.  They had player boxes marked half-price along with the quarter boxes. We spent $19 at their tables.


We paid $7 for this Altuve lot that included 2 refractors, a nice Topps Emerald parallel, and a Topps Heritage short print.  The last $12 were quarter cards.  The dealer only had 1 1600 count box on his table, but shortly after we started through it one of the daughters added a 3200 count box.  We ended up with 49 cards from both boxes.


There were not too many Cardinals in the box as those were in $1 boxes, but I did find a few nice ones.  The Plummer in the top left is numbered to 25, while the Ravelo in the bottom right is a photo variation.


We were surprised to find a few Altuves for a quarter each.  The Bowman's Best is a refractor, and the Topps is a rainbow foil parallel.



Everything else we pulled is trade bait.  Most of these Pirates and Yankees are headed to good friend Ron B.


There were quite a few purple parallels in the box from various brands.


Also a good mix of Topps gold cards.  I pulled cards for a few teams collectors that I know have cards for me.


A few more random cards with team collectors in mind.  

The next dealer had a couple of 1600 count quarter boxes made up of mostly base cards.  We did find $4 worth of cards from him.



Once again all of these are trade bait.  The lone Cardinal I found was a Flaherty Finest refractor that I already had.  He did have quite a few mojo refractors, but I only grabbed cards for team collectors or better know prospects.

The last dealer had a monster box full of mixed sports.  I usually pass these by pretty quick as I cannot stand someone who does not sort their cards, but I knew this dealer from other shows so I went through it pretty quick.  The last $2 I spent brought this lot.


More pirates and a Yankee for Ron B along with a Topps gold and 2 green Giants numbered to 99.  Overall I would give the show a solid A.  The same location has a 3 day show in May that I may try to attend.
  










          

No comments:

Post a Comment