Thursday, December 21, 2017

Hit Hard by Another Cardinals Collector

Over the weekend I had a great package arrive from Trading Bases member Jerry J.  He is a fellow Cardinals fan who was looking to thin out some of his duplicates.  Nothing I enjoy more than trading my extra Cardinals for some that I need.  Jerry sent a great assortment of team set hits that spanned over 30 years. 


This 1983 Kellogs card is in great shape, no cracks or bending.  I know it is not as old as some others, but it is nice to receive one in mint condition.  This also is the first Kellogs team set I have finished.

I am a big fan of the 1998 and 1999 Flair sets, although they can be confusing withe the 3 different Row variations.  This is Row 2 version is from 1999.

More favorites sets of mine are the Donruss sets featuring retired greats like Schoendienst and Musial.  I like the 04 DK Musial a little more than the 05Greats Red, but both are nice.

This Rasmus SP is from 2009 Heritage High Numbers.  There are 5 Cardinals SP cards in the Heritage sets that year.  I still need 3 of them. 

2009 Upper Deck Goudey  also had its fair share of short prints.  I need 5 more of those.  Topps Tribute cards are very well done regardless of the year.  I have seen base cards that look better than some of the game used offerings.

Topps says its gold, but I will go with bronze on this 2012 League Leaders card.  I read that Lincecum is trying to make a comeback this year.  I doubt that will go well, but he did look pretty ripped in the workout photo I saw.

Topps got the gold right in 2013.  It may be hard to recognize Carpenter without his beard.  I hope Lynn signs with an American League team.  If not, I can see him sticking it to the Cardinals every time he pitches against them.

Carp still did not have the beard on his 2014 Topps Gold card.  I do like when Topps uses photos with alternate or special jerseys like the camo one Choate is wearing.

It was nice to finish to 2014 Bowman Platinum and Donruss sets with the above cards.  I still need Wainwright and Molina to finish the Finest set.

These 3 cards finished the 2015 Leaf Musial 20 card insert set.  The middle card is my favorite photo from the set. 

The Bowman paper parallels are not quite as sharp as the Chrome versions, but I will take any Flaherty card numbered to 99.  I have high hopes for him in 2019.  He should get some innings in 2018, but I think he needs a little more time in Triple A before he really establishes himself as a #2 or 3 starter. 

It was nice to see Piscotty traded to a West Coast team so that he can be close to his mother who has ALS.  I think he should rebound to hit close to .280-290 with 15-20 home runs this year if he can deal with the personal issues. 


 

2 comments:

  1. The weird thing about the Musial set is the sticker autos-of course from before he died.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate seeing those. I admire his will to keep signing autos, but the quality is not good at all.

    ReplyDelete