Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Annual December Card Show Report

For the past 3 years I have made it a point to make the trip to St. Louis for the St. Louis Sports Collectors December show.  It is usually the first or second Sunday, which works out well so my wife and daughter can shop while my son and I spend a couple of hours at the show.  The females chose to stay home this time, so my son and I got an early start and arrived at the show about 9:30.

In the past I have found some greats deals at this show.  You can see my 2018 findings here and my 2017 loot here.  This year was not quite as good, but I still came away with some nice cards.  As always, my son and I were on the looking for bargain boxes.  The dime boxes were not as plentiful this year.  More dealers were going to the quarter or dollar boxes.  Our first purchase was from a dime box.

This monster box was sorted by team with a few 2019 cards mixed in with various cards from the 1990.  My son found 1 Altuve and I came away with a 1999 Pacific need.


I always try to make it an even $1, so I grabbed some trade bait.  Most are base cards from 2019 except the Banks and Gomez.

Our next purchase was also the dime box variety.

We did better with this box, as we each found 2 cards.  The Altuve on the left has a pretty good ding in the upper right corner, but that did not bother my son. 

Rounding out this $1 was more trade bait, but this time it include some numbered Topps Gold and a nice Blue Chrome Refractor #ed to 150.

Our next stop was a dealer with various $1, $2, and $5 boxes.

I found my son 3 Altuves for $1 each.  The Chrome is a refractor.  This is more than I usually like to pay, but it is the Christmas season.

I picked out a couple of cards from the $2 box.  The Kelly autograph completed my 2017 Optic team set.  The Scwarber is trade bait.  I have not entered the code yet to see what game the jersey piece is from. 

The next purchase was from a dealer with 2 monster boxes of cards marked 5 for $1.  Most were junk era cards, but I did find 5 cards of interest.

The Cepeda knocks my 2019 Archives needs down to 1 more card.  I already had the Larussa and Yadi, but it is hard to pass up a Yadi RC and a regional issue for 20 cents each.

I bought the last 2 cards for different reasons.  I am not sure if Tucker will be in Pittsburgh or Indianapolis next year, but I will have something for him to sign if he return to Triple A.  The Fernando is trade bait.  The 1983 Kellogs are not too rare, but I could not pass it up for less than a quarter.    

I will finish the recap in the next day or two.  There will be a lot more Cardinals in that post.

1 comment:

  1. Nice group of cards you got there. 2011 was the year the Charlie Morton started to put things together at the major League level. Of course the Clemente is awesome and eye catching.

    ReplyDelete