Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Man I Missed Peoria

The last 2 weekends I have done a couple of things that Covid put a stop to in 2020.  The first was attending a card show with my wife and son.  That was a ton of fun, but this past Friday was even better.  My entire family attended our first Peoria Chiefs game in almost 2 years. 

I almost forgot how great it was to watch a game in person.  Everything was almost perfect.  The weather was beautiful.  It was about 77 degrees with cloudy skies and a nice breeze.  Almost unbelievable for the second of July.  The Chiefs won the game 7 to 4 thanks to a 7 fun 6th inning.  Before that time, they only had 1 hit.  The crowd was announced to be about 1,100, but I would guess there were 500-600 people who were there.

One of the deciding factors for me in choosing what games to attend are the promotional give aways.  With 2020 being a lost year, some teams have cut back this year.  The Chiefs are no different.  Friday night was one exceptional, as it was advertised as mystery bobblehead giveaway to the first 500 fans.  In past years on bobblehead nights, there would be a few hundred people in line at least 30 minutes before game time.  Friday we arrived about 15 minutes early to find about 25.  After a short wait, the gates opened.  There were 4 different bobbleheads being handed out that were supposed to be given out last year: Dylan Carlson, Tommy Edman, a Joey Turkey Friends, and some character from the Office TV show.  It was nice they let everyone pick out which they wanted.


I already have one of these Carlson bobbleheads, but hope to trade or sell these 4 to get a couple that will be given out at a Springfield Cardinals game in August.  

Being our first game since the pandemic, I had no idea if autographing would be allowed.  It seems to vary from park to park.  I brought along 6 cards and a ball just in case.  Good thing I did.


I read somewhere earlier in the week that Jose Oquendo would be in Peoria most of the week.  When we walked in, most of the team was down by the bullpen going over the game plan.  After the broke up, Oquendo stuck around talking to a couple of the infielders.  Another fan asked him for an auto first, so I followed suit.  He was happy to sign.

Besides the bobblehead give away, another reason to make the 3 hour drive was to see the Cardinals 2020 first round draft pick Jordan Walker.  Walker was promoted to the Chiefs earlier in the week.  


My son was camped out by the dugout before the game, while my daughter and I were down the first base line where the players warm up.  My son scored first by having Walker sign this 2021 Bowman card.

After he finishing warming up, Walker, also signed for my daughter and I.


Last fall my local Walmart had Rawlings offical MLB baseballs on clearance for $5.  I think I bought all 14 they had.  This one turned out great.  Shortly after Walker signed, the game started.  We had seats 4 rows off the field next to the Chiefs dugout.  It was a great view to see Walker playing 3rd base.


He had one nice play ranging to his left to field a grounder, then doing a 360 to throw the runner out at first.  Wish I could have taken some nice photos of him up to bat, but the netting got in the way.  Next time I will move to a different seat.  I mentioned earlier the Chiefs won the game 7-4.  Walker was 0-4 on the night.  One thing I noticed during the game was the absence of bat boys.  A coach from each team was in charge of retrieving any foul balls and keeping the home plate umpire supplied.  The Chiefs coach tossed my son one after a player broke his bat.


I have never seen a broken bat rip a baseball cover before.  This one even went into the stitching some.  After the game a few players remained on the field to talk to family and sign a few more autographs.  My son was able to get one before we left.

Cedeno was signing before the game at the same time Walker was.  Good thing he stuck around afterwards.  To finish things up we got 4 of our 6 cards signed along with a ball and 4 bobbleheads.  Not sure when we will go back, but I hope we get the chance before too long.    
  




       

No comments:

Post a Comment