Monday, August 12, 2024

Meeting the Legends

I have lived in the same area my entire life. For almost 48 years, southern Illinois has been my home. You would think by now I would know just about every baseball team around, whether professional, semi-pro, or school-related.  Back in March, I discovered a new one in southern Indiana. It was about 1.5 hours away.  The DC Bombers is a summer league team made up of college players.  They play at League Stadium, famous for being the home of the movie "A League of Their Own". 

I did not discover the team by visiting the stadium or going to a game.  During an online search of Ray Lankford cards, I came across a Facebook post about Legends Game to be held at League Stadium.  Tickets went on sale a few weeks later.  I made sure to secure three seats for my wife, my son, and me, along with passes to the pre-game autograph session. The game took place this past Saturday night.


Along with Lankford, 6 other former MLB players signed autographs. The autograph session lasted 1.5 hours.  I knew the autograph tickets sold out, so I had no idea how big the crowd would be.  To my surprise, we were able to get everything signed in 45 minutes.  It helps when you have three people, and you are allowed two autographs each time.  I had five cards for other collectors that have already been mailed off, so I will show off the keepers.


This is the only Boone card I have in my collection.  There is not much demand for a 2000 Metal common, so I had it autographed.  If you know of a Boone or Braves fan who would like it, have them send me a message.  


Cischek played for the Bombers before starting his MLB career.  He spent the second half of the 2015 season in St. Louis.  I wish he had a few more Cardinal cards.  


Coco Crisp was traded by the Cardinals for Steve Finley before he ever reached the majors.  He loved seeing the 2003 Grandstand New Jersey Cardinals card.  


This is the first time I have ever met Ankiel in person.  I always seem to miss him at Cardinals Winter Warm Up.  He has a great autograph.  I love that he put his pitching number 66 on the 2002 Topps card.  I was able to chat with him for a few minutes about his book.  I highly recommend reading The Phenomenon if you get a chance.  


My wife was able to get through Ankiel's line a second time.  This ball turned out great.  

Last but not least, are the Lankford autographs.  We hit him up first, then my son and I were able to get through his line a second time.


These complete my run of Topps base cards being signed, minus the 2002 Padres card. Someday, I will get a picture of them together arranged by year.



This ball is from Lankford's induction into the Cardinals Hall of Fame in 2018.  I have another one unsigned.  Was not sure how the silver paint pen would show up on the red panel, but I think it looks great.


I bought this 11x14 picture at Winter Warm Up in 2020.  Bernard Gilkey signed it in 2022.  Brian Jordan should not be hard to track down, but Mark Whiten may be a challenge.  

The best part of the evening for me came next. With 30 minutes left in the autograph session, very few people were getting autographs from any of the players. I was able to talk to Lankford one-on-one for a few minutes.  I asked him why he did not sign with the Cubs when they drafted him in the third round of the 1986 draft (the Cardinals drafted him in the 1987 third round).  Loved his answer of not wanting to be a part of a losing culture.  I also asked him about his favorite career moment.  I was guessing it would be the Darren Daulton collision, hitting for the cycle, or hitting a home run in his last at bat.  I was not even close.  His favorite moment was robbing a base hit.  He did not specify from who or when, just that it was from another player he did not care much for.  

As for the game itself, it was a 7-inning affair featuring quite a few guys past their prime.  Scott Podsednik led off the game and pulled a hamstring running to first.  Boone did not have much range at second, nor did he make much contact at the plate.  Ankiel had a nice live drive to center.  Steve Cishek had the best hit.  It was a long home run to left field.  I was amazed to see a former reliever hit a ball that well, until the other manager made it known Cishek used a fungo bat.  It was still a fun game to watch and one that I will look forward to next year if they have it.         

  





2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome experience for the family. Coco Crisp would be the player I would have wanted to meet. I'd love to get him to sign his 2014 Topps card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crisp was very talkative. He was not sporting the same hairdo from his 2014 Topps card.

      Delete