Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Forgot About Friday's Mail

Today my plan was to show off my TCDB trade envelope from Saturday's mail.  As I was scanning the cards, I realized I forgot to show off a trade that arrived on Friday from TCDB member scrubeenie.  For some reason I had these cards ready to be filed away already.  Must have mixed up my sorting piles.


Alba looks thrilled to have his photo taken for this 1990 Procards card.  I am not a 100% sure, but this one looks photoshopped to me because of the large cap.  The Drew is an insert from 1999 Team Best.  I do not recall minor league issues having many inserts back then.


I have never seen the green 1999 Starquest McGwire before, only the blue version that I have mulitples of.  I really miss the Donruss inserts back when they had logos.  This 2001 Musial is numbered to 25000.  It has been a few years since Carpenter could be considered one of the Cardinals finest.  Unless he has a remarkable turnaround from the past 2 or 3 years, this will be his last season in St. Louis.  He did have a nice run from 2013-2016 making 3 All Star teams.

When I first saw this 2016 Chrome refractor of Oh, I thought it was a colored version because of the green background.  Turns out it is just the regular refractor.  There is no mistaking this 2005 Taguchi is a black refractor.  It is numbered to 225.  


Gypsy Queen and old timers go well together.  Both of these 2011 inserts are sharp.  I always think of Hornsby as a high average guy, but the man had some power also.  He lead the National League in twice in the 1920s and had 301 career home runs.  Not bad for the dead ball era.  Mize was also a big bopper.  He led the league in home runs 4 times and hit 359 in his career.  


High end base cards always have a welcome home in my collection.  The 2011 Topps Tribute Gibson is my first card from that set.  The 2009 Sweet Spot Pujols finished my team set.  I love the feel of the stitches on this card.  The 2009 Bowman Draft Robert Stock is not high end, but it did finish a team set.  Back then Stock was a catcher, but now he is a relief pitcher.  Last I heard the Cubs signed him over the winter, but I think he has since been released.  

These 2020 Panini Select cards do not scan the greatest, but they are pretty sharp.  Other than the Edman, the lack of logos is not very obvious.  


The inserts are even better.  If you get a magnifying glass, you could read the swirls on the Flaherty card to find out it is a Phenomenon insert.  The Carlson is a lot easier to read.  Not as flashy as the Flaherty, but I will take any card of his right now.    


  


2 comments:

  1. Hey! Just stumbled across your blog, I'll be reading going forward. Love that Musial Diamond Kings, I have been (very) slowly accumulating that set, but they hardly ever pop up at prices I am willing to pay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the read. I agree the numbered Diamond Kings are getting harder to find.

      Delete