Monday, July 29, 2024

2024 American Cancer Society Day at Busch Stadium

Yesterday was the first of two American Cancer Society Days at Busch Stadium this year.  Just like past years, tickets were only $20 for bleacher seats which included pre-game autograph sessions with current and former players, and a hot dog and soda.  My wife, son, and I arrived at the stadium shortly before the gates opened at 9:00.  Once inside, it was straight to the autograph lines.  


Steve Kline was his usual quirky self.  He was at a table with reliever John King, who showed up 10 minutes late.  Kline let him know about it.


King was a nice guy once he showed up.  He does not have any cards pictured as a Cardinals, so I used a 2019 Topps stadium card.  I like when players add their jersey number and a bible verse.  Makes it easier to know who signed the card.


Jack Clark signs quite a bit around St. Louis, but this is only the second time I have gotten his autograph.  The first was at the 2009 All-Star Fanfest in St. Louis.  I love how the 1985 Topps reprint from 2001 turned out.


There were fewer than 20 people in Greg Mathews's line, so we were able to get through it twice.


Chris Roycroft does not have a Cardinals card, either.  


Tom Pagnozzi is part of some of the post game shows after Cardinals games.  Nice to see him back in the area.


I am running out of different Scott Terry cards to have signed.  He is a regular at Winter Warm Up and caravans.  


Andrew Kittredge has a few cards, but none in a Cardinals uniform.  Glad I traded for quite a few of these last fall.


Last but not least is Michael Siani.  He was the most popular autograph.  I had planned not to get in his line, but with 10 minutes left in his signing time, my wife got lucky.  

21 autographs from 9 different players in about an hour and a half.  In addition to the free hot dog and soda, it was also ice cream Sunday.  We were treated to fudge bars, which tasted great on a hot day.  The game ended in less than 2.5 hours with a Paul Goldschmidt walk-off home run.  Great way to finish off the day.

On a side note, I noticed Dylan Carlson was sent out to catch the first pitch.  This job is usually reserved for relief pitchers.  I feel bad for him and really hope he gets traded to a team that will give him a chance to play.  With the trade of Tommy Edman to the White Sox that brought Tommy Pham and Erick Fedde, the outfield got more crowded.       

  

  




4 comments:

  1. Looks like it was really fun! I had never thought about having stadium cards used for autographs, but that seems like a pretty good idea. I have an extra half-dozen or so of those if you ever end up needing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will gladly trade for more. I know I need some Scott Terry cards you have to replace the ones I got autographed. Will wait until the next cancer game on September 8 to see if I need any other cards. Will shoot you an offer on TCDB.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a great day for only $20 a ticket!

    ReplyDelete