Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Card Show Pickups

This past Saturday, my son and I had the chance to hit up a card show less than an hour away from home.  This is a quarterly show that we attended back in March.  We arrived about five minutes after the doors opened.  Right away we spotted a dealer with three monster boxes of quarter cards and a couple of boxes full of cards in top loaders marked 25% off.  We spent $8 at his tables.


The quarter boxes produced 3 Cardinals and 13 cards for trade bait.  Some of the other trade bait is already in the mail.  Loved finding the Tink Hence Elite Extra numbered to 999.


These Altuve cards came to $2 each.  Nice find for my son's collection.  A dealer a couple of tables over had some boxes of autos and game used for $5 each.  Found some Altuve jersey cards there also, but he did not budge on price, so we moved on.  

The next dealer had some vintage commons marked $2-5.  I pulled three 1960 Topps I need for $8.


These are in great condition.  Four sharp corners and no creases.  The team card is my favorite.  I talked to this dealer for a few minutes and found out he has a large inventory of 1950s and 1960s in good condition.  Hope he brings them to the next show in September.

The next dealer also had some vintage cards.  Not quite as many, but I did manage to find a 1962 Topps I needed.


This Minoso was marked $10, but the dealer looked it over and gave it to me for $5.  It is not as miscut as my scanner shows it to be.  Some fuzzy corners but no creases.  I would have been happy paying $10.

My last purchase came from yet another vintage dealer.  I browsed his table earlier and spotted a card I was interested in, but I wanted to finish walking the show floor before I bought it.


This 1971 Topps Bob Gibson was $20.  Once again, my scanner cut off the right edge.  It has a couple of soft corners, but overall, it is in great shape.  I am down to 2 more high number short prints to finish this team set.

We spent a total of $41 in the 2 hours we spent at the show.  Not crazy by any means, but still a nice haul of old and new.    





  


      

2 comments:

  1. Two bucks for that Topps memorabilia card of Altuve is a nice find. Bet your son is excited that he's getting his 5th start in the MLB All-Star Game next week. I know I am. He's one of my favorite players.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was thrilled to see Altuve get voted in. Nice to see some of the negativity from the trash can scandal has worn off.

      Delete