Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Goodbye Dylan Carlson

Trades happen every baseball season.  It is part of the game.  Teams trade from a surplus for an area of need.  Other times, the team feels a player is not performing up to potential and needs a change of scenery.  For fans, trades can be a double-edged sword.  You want to see your favorite team win but also want to see certain players be a part of that success.  That is my situation with the Cardinals and Dylan Carlson.

Carlson was traded to the Rays yesterday for a reliever.  Not much of a return for the #15 prospect in all of baseball a few years ago.  I knew the trade was coming, but I still do not like the fact it happened.  Carlson was not getting the playing time, nor was he doing well when he did play.  I am rooting for him to turn into the next former Cardinals outfielder who turns into an all-star.  Randy Arozarena, Adolis Garcia, Tyler O'Neill, and Lane Thomas come to mind.  Not all were all-stars, but they have had nice seasons since leaving St. Louis.

Carlson was the Cardinals #1 draft pick in 2016.  I first saw him play in Peoria in 2017.


He was only 19 years old that year.  I attended quite a few games that year and took quite a few pictures.  Somewhere in my office, I have an autographed copy of this one.


Carlson autographed some Cardinals on Signature Sundays that same year.


At the end of the season, the Chiefs held a meet and great for anyone who bought a ticket package.  Carlson was very polite, introducing himself to my kids and gladly taking pictures.  My son has this picture autographed and hanging in his bedroom.


Sometime that winter, I bought his 2016 Bowman Chrome auto.

Carlson would reach Double A Springfield in 2019 and be chose to the Futures Game along with being named the league MVP.  


He autographed this ball at the 2020 Cardinals Winter Warm Up.

Carlson made his MLB debut in 2020.  He broke out in 2021, hitting 18 home runs.  The last 2 years have seen him suffer injuries and reduced playing time.  That has not stopped me from adding to my collection.





Carlson was a popular choice for the Cardinals' minor league teams after his strong 2021 season.  


I have 190 different Carlson cards in my collection.  This is the only game used card.




Carlson took a picture with my son at the 2023 Winter Warm Up before he autographed this oversized Topps card.

Thanks for all the memories Dylan, and best of luck in Tampa.







    


         

No comments:

Post a Comment