Sunday, January 17, 2021

Money Saved, Money Spent

 After writing my post yesterday about missing the Cardinals Winter Warm Up, I did come up with one positive.  I will have quite a bit of extra money to spend on cards this year.  In between hotels, food, autographs, and whatever else cool Cardinals things I find, I estimate I spend an average of $400-$600 during the 3 days in St. Louis.  That should come in handy with the crazy prices cards are bringing right now.  From what I have seen, a hobby box of 2021 Topps Series 1 will cost about $150 with taxes and shipping.  Hard pass for me.  I will stick to box breaks or trading to get my team set.

The thought of extra money made me go back and calculate my card expenses from 2020.  My grand total came to $967.38.  $661.89 was spent on card or supplies, while the last $305.49 went to postage.  I always like to keep track of what I bought.  Here is the break down of the $661.89:

Individual cards/Lots/ Box Breaks  $423.48

Packs/Boxes  $218.62

Supplies (storage boxes, top loader, etc.)  $19.79

Nothing to shocking there.  I was a little surprised I found that many boxes to spend money on.  I did buy 1 hobby box of 2020 Topps Big League.  Everything else went towards blaster boxes at my local Walmart.  Speaking of Walmart, here is where I spent my money:

EBAY  $416.56

Other Online Sites  $36.22

1 Card Show I attended in early March before Covid really hit $9

Walmart $198.11

Once again nothing amazed me with these totals.  I had forgotten about going to the card show before my family made our ill-fated trip to spring training.  Not sure when those will come back, so EBAY will most likely win out again in 2021.  Maybe I will go for a bigger purchase this year like my favorite from last year.


Maybe 2020 is the year I add a Pujols auto to the Cardinals collection.  Time will tell.


No comments:

Post a Comment