Monday, February 28, 2022

$5 Box Break

Over the weekend my family did our usual shopping trip to the local Walmart.  Do I like going?  No, but it is about the only place in town to get certain things.  They move things around too much and half the time there is a problem with self checkout.  This time the scanner would not read our gift card. 

I always try to use the lane by the card section.  Lately it has been fully stocked with everything you could want.  This weekend was the first time I spotted 2022 Topps.  As tempting as it was to grab a pack or two, I knew there was no need.  Last week I bought into a jumbo box break over on The Bench.  I received both the Cardinals and Pirates for $7 delivered.  3 days later the cards arrived from California.  



It was nice to knock out the Cardinals team set in 1 break.  If you search EBAY for the team set, quite a few listings leave out the Wainwright league leader card.  I do like the simple design this year.  I agree with quite a few other collectors that it has a Bowman feel to it.  One big strike against Topps is that the card backs are not all the same direction.  You would think they would have listened to all the complaints about last year's set and fixed this.  


My lone Cardinals insert was this silver pack Goldschmidt.  These look very nice with the 1987 design.  I did not have the time to scan all the Pirates before I shipped them off, but I did get the entire team set along with 3 inserts.  Nothing high dollar, but to get 2 team sets and 4 inserts from 1 box for $7 I was pretty pleased with this break.  
  


2 comments:

  1. Jon Lester sunset card :D

    I can't believe Topps is still messing up the card backs. Their quality control really has gone down the tubes. This is why I dont collect flagship anymore (I'll probably pick up a blaster though)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lester looks strange in a Cardinals uniform. I agree about the quality control. Glad I do not have to open any Series 1 packs.

    ReplyDelete