Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Brewers for Cardinals

The Cardinals have been stuck behind the Brewers in the NL Central for the better part of this season.  I believe early May was the last time the Cards were ahead of them.  The Brewers have excellent pitching to go along with a decent offense.  The Cardinals have neither right now, and I do not think that is going to change the rest of the year.  They need a lot of luck to squeak into the wild card game.  Even if they make the playoffs, I do not see them going far.  As another fan base from the NL Central says, there is always next year.  

Last week I was able to trade a Brewers lot that included some cards from my Prizm box break to TCDB member ntlwhlr.  He gladly sent me some unwanted Cardinals from his collection.  


The 2005 Bowman Sterling set is made up of rookie cards and memorabilia cards.  I need 3 more memorabilia cards and 1 rookie card to finish my team set.  This one will not be finished anytime soon.

Showing a 2021 Stadium Club base card along with a 2005 Bowman Chrome Draft base card may not seem logical, but it does to me when these 2 made their 300th start together last week.  Tonight will make 301.  Yesterday Wainiwright announced he plans to play in 2022.  I cannot see it being anywhere other than St. Louis.  If they both stay healthy, they should break the all time record of 324 starts together some time next year.  

I hope DeJong has a bounce back season in 2022.  Despite not hitting over .200 so far this year, I believe the Cardinals will give him every chance to be the starting shortstop next year even though there are quite a few good free agent short stops available.  It would be fun to see Trevor Story play next to Nolen Arenado in St. Louis, but I almost guarantee the Cardinals will not spend the money needed to sign him.


This 1994 Signature Rookies card looks like something Panini would produce.  Even for a minor league card, the lack of logos is very obvious.  Young will be in St. Louis this weekend signing autographs for free on Saturday.  As tempting as it is to make the 2.5 hour drive, my son and I will instead be hitting up a card show about an hour away.  





   
 


2 comments:

  1. I did not expect to see anything about the Brewers AND the Cardinals today which didn't mention Ted Simmons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was listening to Simmons speech as I was writing the post and did not think anything about it.

      Delete