Monday, September 13, 2021

Disappointing Card Show

I mentioned in Friday's post that my son and I had planned to attend a card show on Saturday.  Those plans came true as we were able to make it early Saturday afternoon.  We had somewhere to be later in the evening, so I wanted to make sure we had a couple of hours to spend flipping through cards.  If it was anything like the show in June , we would need it.

Unfortunately, this show did not live up to our expectations.  The number of tables was about the same, but the quality was not.  I can count on one hand with a closed fist how many dime boxes we found.  Yes a big fat 0.  There were a handful of quarter boxes, but some of those were filled with junk wax from 1988-1992.  We did find 1 dealer with a few quarter cards we bought.


 

Other than the Altuve Bowman's Best that my son needed, the rest of the cards are trade bait.  It may look like a strange lot, but most of them are either serial numbered, or players from popular teams.  I doubt if I have many of these left by the end of the week.

The same dealer also had a few boxes of various $1 to $5 cards.  I made picked up this game used card for $3.


Yes it is a boring 2019 Topps Heritage card, but I did not have a game used card of Mikolas.  Most current players I try to get 1 auto and 1 game used card.

We made our rounds twice before finding 1 other dealer with a handful of cards we wanted.



We spent $11 on these 4 cards.  I did not have an autograph of Perez yet.  His Bowman Chrome autos are selling for about twice as much as I want to give, so I settled for a Pro Debut sticker auto.  The Altuve jersey card is numbered to 99, while the Update card is a Rainbow foil parallel.  

Our total for the 45 minutes there was $17.  There were too many guys trying to sell the latest and greatest.  One had 2 8 foot tables full of nothing but Ohtani and Vlad Jr cards.  He had some high end graded rookies in cases, but also a lot of 2021 base cards for $5 a pop.  There were also a handful of guys selling blasters for $35 on up.  One dealer wanted to cut us a break and give us 2 Allen & Ginter blasters for $60.  My Walmart has plenty of them for $20 each.  Not sure when the next show at this location is, but we may have to think hard about making the hour drive before we attend.    

No comments:

Post a Comment