Thursday, January 13, 2022

All Star Trade

I have never purchased a factory set, nor do I have plans to ever do so.  I have some completed sets in my collection, but they are ones that I put together through trades or buying lots.  I do not see the fun of just buying a complete set.  Sure it is cheaper, but there is no joy when you finally are able to track down that last card.

In recent years Topps has added different variations to the factory set.  Different borders or logos and gold stars can be found depending on where the set is purchased.  All the more reason not to buy a factory set when you are not 100% sure what you are getting.  I will let others buy them and trade away the unwanted cards if they choose.  TCDB member Calyanksfan broke up a 2019 Topps All Star Game set and sent quite a few Cardinals my way.


The only difference between the base set and this set is the ASG logo.  Nothing really flashy about them at all.


There are 25 Cardinals in the set.  Calyanks must have traded a few to player collectors because he did not have all the Cardinals I needed.


He did put a big dent in my needs by sending me 14 out of the 17 I did not have.  The other 3 should not be very hard to find.  I found it strange that Molina is the only player out of the 13 players I received who is still with St. Louis.  Some guys like Carlos Martinez and Matt Carpenter are free agents, but I doubt the Cardinals will sign them.  Shows you how much turnover MLB teams have.


I also received 3 different pitcher cards in the trade.  Carlos Martinez brings my 2017 Finest needs down to 1 card.  The 2001 Topps Reserve Blake Williams is numbered to 1500.  The Bob Gibson HOF plaque card is an insert from 2005 Upper Deck.  




No comments:

Post a Comment